1/9/12

Happy New Year and MLKjr.

Sorry I've been away.  Getting back to work from the break was a little hard.

But I wanted to share what we did to ring in the new year in my class and give you a Martin Luther King Jr activity (that you have to do a little work with)

First New Years.  We talked about the new year and how the calendar has changed.  This is tricky. My youngest is in a multi-age 1st and 2nd grade class, as a younger.  She was so disappointed she wasn't an older when the NEW YEAR started.  So after all that explaining, we talked about resolutions or goals.

Here is what we made:
In 2012 I want to play outside more.

In 2012 I want to take care of my pets and dog. (I guess the dog isn't a pet?)

In 2012 I want to dress more like me and not my sister. (she gets the hand-me-downs!)

In 2012 I want to read more!

In 2012 I want to get to ride my bike more.

The project was pretty easy.  I cut the heads for them to save time, although I know they could do it.  And we talked about how we should look.  They really put thought into the hats and I think they are not only rigorous but cute as can be!

Next for the MLK activity.  I read this book today:



 Martin Luther King Jr is a little tricky.  Kids this age just don't understand.  I like this book because it is simple and the pictures are not too horrifying.  But overall it is a difficult concept to put your thoughts around.  So I like the idea of keeping it about treating everyone with kindness.

So I created this book with a page from Teacher Helper (Dec/Jan 2010) (I am pretty sure it was this issue, I'll double check in the morning!)

The cover.  This is just an 8.5 x 11 folded in half.


This is the first page.  The head was drawn (I did my best) and the students had to color it in.

Here is where I cut the worksheet in the Teacher's Helper Magazine.  This is suppose to be a listen and do activity.  But I just cut the pictures and used them here.


The students will color the pages and either draw a check or a smile face next to the picture they think they can do to be kind.


This is the back cover.  Just in case my drawing was too horrible.


  So there you have it.  I decided too I am going to make it my goal for the new year to try to make more books on the computer so I can actually upload them for you.

OH, and one more thing.  If you are reading this and you aren't a follower, I'd love to have you!  If you are a follower, please tell a friend.  I feel sad having only 30 followers!  But I will take all that are willing to find me helpful!

No comments: