9/9/11

Let's Talk Behavior

So yesterday was a rough day in the ol' kindergarten corral.  Well, it was more my PM class.  They just had a hard time listening!  So I realized I need to jump right into our rules!


So, I started by reading David Goes To School by David Shannon.  Now, we've all read this book before.  But before I read, I started it by saying, David may seem bad, but really, he is making poor choices.  Let's read to find out what choices David is making. 

As I read the book, I stopped at each infraction and discussed why this was a poor choice.  Why we need to keep our hands to ourselves, why we need to raise our hand. 

Finally I introduced our Green, Yellow, Red, PURPLE system.



We've all heard of this system before as well.  Everyone is on Green, when they make a poor choice they get a warning, then move to yellow, then move to red... etc.

I've added PURPLE.  Purple is when those kids do something AMAZING!  They continue to use good manners, they sit nicely at circle, they raise their hands, they are a good friend. 

When someone goes to purple we stop what we are doing and give them a HIP HIP HOORAY!  We all clap for that person and they get to take home a special award!  Believe it or not, it really works.

Last year I decided to put them into little cups.  Every student's picture is in the cup.  They all live in the green cup.  When they make poor choices, they move their picture to the other cups.  If they move to purple they move to PURPLE too!

It really works for me.  As the year goes on I use a sticker book/punch card system.  When students fill up their sticker book, they get to move to purple!  This helps me because they work very hard to earn stickers/punches and it is SUPER CHEAP!

I hope this helps you in your classroom!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your behavior system! :)
I am a new follower! Thanks for commenting on my blog! :) Happy New School Year! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Busy Bees said...

Just found your blog! I use the color system, too and love it. Love your purple idea!!
BusyBees

Giggles and Squeals said...

Welcome Busy Bees! Thanks for joining!

Kinder Kiddo said...

Oh I love the idea of using purple!! That would go perfectly with my current system! Thank you for the great idea!

Giggles and Squeals said...

I am happy you can use it! It works well for me!