10/3/12

The worries of Common Core

Today in a faculty meeting we listened to the speech by Dave Coleman on the Common Core and mathematics.  It is interesting, but overwhelming.  How can less seem so worrisome?  My principal tells us to make a list of things we are no longer going to be teaching.  But if I don't teach some things that are not on the common core, then how will they ever know?

For example, I did a project today on rhyming.  But I also taught them how to cut out the work and use scissors and glue.  Is scissors and glue in the common core?

I am excited to see somethings leave, I would love to spend my day having kids reading and writing.  But somethings still need to be taught, or we will all need to buy stock in the Elmer Glue factory!

I wish it wasn't so tricky.  Instead of making a list of what not to teach, since it is suppose to be less anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to make a list of what TO teach?

HELP!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a very informative site, I have found alot of very useful information here and still have a lot more to read. Thank you very much for the time and effort you have put in....

Giggles and Squeals said...

Thank you! That really means a lot to me!

Anonymous said...

In search of seeking for a short time for any good quality view involving this one point . Researching in Search engines I eventually have discovered this page. Reading this So i'm thrilled to say that I have a really good sense I discovered just what I was looking for. For certain i will make sure to don't forget this web-site and check it out constantly.