10/11/12

Fire Safety Writing Unit

Do you need a little something to jazz up your writing center?  Well, this is just for you!  Each center cycle I have my students make books.  This is only their 2nd book, but I think they get it.  This week we are discussing fire safety.  So I made this unit:

Click here to grab yours from TpT!


They use this to help them write the words.

This is the cover.

This is the inside.  I usually copy front and back so there is a total of 5 places to write.

I also am doing the following centers this week:

Art:  We are painting fire.  They have to mix red and yellow to get orange.  This isn't my favorite activity but it is a painting week in my class so I have to stick to the plan!


Math:  I am using cards from Kreative in Kinder's  Fire Safety Unit.  The love the activity!  It is a fire truck with a tens frame and they have to match it to the right number.  Then when they are done they get to play Get the Fire Dog to the Firefighter, which is also from her unit.  They just roll the die and move their piece.  The person who gets their first wins.

Listening:  We are listening to Firefighter Ted.  So funny!  I wonder if my principal would consider this quality literature?  I also have them draw a story response.  They are drawing their favorite Part of the story!



Literacy:  This really doesn't go with fire safety BUT I got Alessia Albanese's Write the Room Literacy Centers- The Complete Set- and to be honest, I wasn't sure.  I have NEVER really done well with kids milling around the room distracting everyone.  I started off small.  I really showed them what to do and how to be independent.  At first I put all her pictures in the pocket chart and they could only pretty much pick from there.  But now, they are really noticing words all over the room.  LOVE IT.  So this week we are on week 2 of her Fall Unit.  I think this was a great purchase!  Thank you Alessia!

No comments: